10 HEALTHY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- DO LESS, ENJOY MORE – Instead of getting stressed by trying to attend every event and pleasing others during the holidays, try taking care of yourself first by saying no at least once.
- BE CAREFUL WITH BEVERAGES – Holiday beverages such as eggnog, peppermint mochas, and hot chocolate can be full of calories and sugar. 1 cup serving of eggnog has 350 calories!
- GET ENOUGH SLEEP—Loss of sleep can increase hunger and appetite resulting in weight gain, and impair mental alertness and performance.
- TREAT YOURSELF DURING THE HOLIDAYS – Instead of having a “cheat day”, try a “treat day”. Occasional treats can help you find a balance that will make your diet sustainable for long-lasting change. Indulge, but in moderation.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR DIGESTIVE HEALTH- Use probiotics. High-quality probiotics can provide the necessary bacteria for a healthy gut which is important to produce serotonin (mood enhancer) and maintain a healthy immune system.
- PRACTICE HEALTHY HOLIDAY COOKING – Bring your own healthy dish to a holiday gathering, prepare home-made foods, and incorporate healthy recipes into your holiday meals.
- TRY MEDITATION– Meditate on your feelings to get calm, grounded, and healthy. Meditation reduces stress & anxiety, helps prevent emotional eating, and improves immune system & energy level.
- MOVE YOUR BODY— Plan time for exercise! Get active with friends or try a new workout class out of town. If you’re short on time, break up your workouts into 15 minute sessions twice a day. Exercise decreases anxiety and improves sleep.
- GET SOME SUNSHINE VITAMIN D – Try to work in a brief daily walk outside to feel natural sunlight on your skin. Vitamin D helps your body produce serotonin, which is a mood enhance
- STAY HYDRATED – Drinking enough water can help prevent headaches, fatigue, or dizziness.